close
iconFind your Sport Nation frequency

WATCH: Dramatic moment police arrest duo with guns at MCG

SEN  •  April 4th, 2025 4:19 pm
WATCH: Dramatic moment police arrest duo with guns at MCG
Dramatic video has emerged of the moment two men allegedly carrying guns inside the MCG were arrested by Victoria Police.
Officials from the MCC and the AFL have said that human error was to blame for the “massive security breach” after the venue’s security screening units ‘identified items of concern’, but there was a breakdown in the secondary and manual screening process.
The two men - Omar Salma and Mohamad Noori, who were both on bail – allegedly smuggled the firearms into the venue ahead of the Carlton vs Collingwood blockbuster which attracted 82,000 fans.
They were involved in an argument with MCG security at half-time of the match when police were called and it was only at this stage that their guns were discovered inside their clothing.
Video purporting to show the moment the duo was arrested was circulated on social media on Friday with vision of numerous police officers flanked by stadium security escorting at least one man out of the venue.
LIFE BANS
AFL CEO Andrew Dillon also issued a lifetime ban to the two men, who remain in Police custody.
"What happened last night is extremely disappointing," Dillon said.
“Overnight the MCG worked to identify how the two men were able to enter the venue, which concluded that security personnel failed to do a thorough follow up search of the patrons after an alert from the entry point screening system,” he said.
“First thing this morning I had a conference call with the MCG and Victoria Police. There will be additional secondary security measures in place this weekend, and the MCC in conjunction with Victoria Police and the AFL will conduct an end to end review of security measures at the ground.
“More than 1.2 million fans have attended the football so far this season and we will work closely with authorities to ensure the matches and venues continue to be a safe and welcoming place for all.”
NO BAIL
Salma and Noori fronted court on Friday.
Salma, a 21-year-old from Roxburgh Park, is facing charges of being a prohibited person to possess a firearm, possessing ammunition without a licence and committing an indictable offence while out on bail.
Noori, a 27-year-old from Broadmeadows meanwhile, has been charged with possessing an unregistered handgun, possessing ammunition without a licence, altering the serial number of a gun, possessing a loaded firearm, possessing a prohibited item under the Major Event Act and failing to appear on bail.
The court was told Noori had four warrants for his arrest.
Neither applied for bail and their next court hearing will be April 16.
SECURITY SLAMMED
As the footy world came to terms with what could have been, AFLPA boss Paul Marsh was scathing in his assessment of the incident.
"Every person who attends an AFL match, including the players, staff, and fans, deserve to do so knowing there are effective measures in place to protect their health and safety," he said.
"What occurred at the MCG last night is extremely concerning and frankly unacceptable.
"We have been in discussions with the AFL this morning and have an understanding of what transpired.
"Pleasingly and appropriately, they have committed to additional security measures for the rest of this weekend as well as a comprehensive review of security measures at all grounds."
EXPECT DELAYS
MCC CEO Stuart Fox warned fans to expect delays in the coming weeks if they are planning to attend a footy match in the wake of the "human error" that allowed firearms to be taken into the MCG.
Fox explained that the venue’s security screening units ‘identified items of concern’, but that there was a breakdown in the secondary and manual screening process.
"Last night's incident is extremely disappointing and upsetting and highlights why we continue to explore and invest in new technologies to assist us in keeping the community safe,” Fox said via a statement.
"Our security screening units identified items of concern and further investigation was required, our initial internal investigation identified a breakdown in the thoroughness of the secondary and manual screening process.
"As a result, we will be increasing the extensiveness of the secondary manual security process and patrons may experience slight delays as they attend upcoming events,” Fox said.
Follow Us
facebookfacebookxxtik-toktik-tokinstagraminstagramyoutubeyoutube

© 2024 Entain New Zealand Limited. All rights reserved.