close

“That’s rubbish, he’s in trouble”: Cornes and King call for multiple weeks for Houston

Andrew Slevison  •  April 4th, 2025 10:30 am
“That’s rubbish, he’s in trouble”: Cornes and King call for multiple weeks for Houston
Dan Houston should be given at least a two-week ban for his head high bump on Lachie Fogarty, according to Kane Cornes and David King.
The incident occurred in the second quarter of Collingwood’s eventual 17-point win over Carlton at the MCG on Thursday night.
He addressed the hit with Channel 7’s Mitch Cleary after the game.

“I thought I had a fair play on the ball and obviously I’ve gone to protect myself and those things happen,” Houston said.
“I didn’t actually realise it happened until you mentioned it, I was fully focused on the team.
“I think it’s such a hard game to play, especially behind the ball. You’ve got to make those split-second decisions where you see the ball coming at you.”
The former Port Adelaide star was suspended for five matches for a brutal hit on Adelaide’s Izak Rankine in last year’s Showdown and only returned in Round 1 with the Pies this year.
SEN Breakfast’s Cornes and King both believe Houston must be rubbed out for at least a few weeks for his latest indiscretion.
Cornes labelled Houston’s post-match comments as “rubbish”.
“Fair play on the ball and he’s gone to protect himself…” Cornes pondered on Fireball.
“He’s doing what all players would do and credit to him for speaking after the match when you’ve got a contentious incident like that.
“But that’s rubbish, he’s in trouble.”
King asked: “It’s got to be two or three weeks, doesn’t it?”
Cornes continued: “It has to be.
“We’ll look at it because Fogarty was ok. But if Fogarty wasn’t ok and if he was knocked out then he’d be looking at another significant suspension.
“I hope it just doesn’t come as one (week). The matrix is hard because of the force that is factored in to this.
“There was some talk that when you plug it into the matrix it will be one (week). I don’t study these things forensically, but looking at it gut-feel it’s a two or three-weeker.
“That’s a fair sanction for that when you unplug all the matrix that Chrisso (MRO Michael Christian) has got to put in.”
King added: “It’s always been a two-weeker, that action.
“Do you have to wait for the outcome before you suspend or clamp down on things and this is one of those cases.”
Cleary was a guest on Fireball and also feels it’ll be at least two weeks.
“If you put me on the spot I’d say it’s two weeks for Dan Houston,” said Cleary.
“For those fans questioning why it’s not more than two weeks given the action, it’s purely because Fogarty wasn’t concussed.”
Follow Us
facebookfacebookxxtik-toktik-tokinstagraminstagramyoutubeyoutube

© 2024 Entain New Zealand Limited. All rights reserved.