Warriors close in on key halves contracts as Boyd awaits injury verdict
Sport Nation • May 19th, 2026 9:06 am

Chanel Harris-Tavita & Tanah Boyd | Photo: Photosport
The Warriors are poised to lock down a critical trio of halves talent, according to CEO Cameron George.
Speaking to Sport Nation's Scotty & Izzy, George said contract extension announcements are imminent for Tanah Boyd, Te Maire Martin, and Chanel Harris-Tavita.
Despite speculation from across the Tasman, Tanah Boyd hadn't officially inked a new deal with the club, although George hinted the Australian would be "around for a while". Reports last week claimed the new deal would run until 2029.
Boyd left Sunday's huge win over the Brisbane Broncos early with a reported ACL tear, just days after Luke Metcalf was released from the remainder of his contract to sign a deal with the St George Illawarra Dragons, starting in 2027.
That diagnosis is yet to be confirmed, with the No. 7 undergoing further scans before any prognosis on his availability for the rest of the season is made.
However, George admits the outlook isn't promising.
"To be honest, it wasn't looking great with the early indications the other day sadly," George said.
"We'll just wait for those results, but it's probably going to be a long process."
As for his long-term future with the Warriors, George was much more positive.
"We'll tell you guys in the media very soon about Tanah's future, but yeah, he'll be around for a while."
Luke Metcalf signs with the Dragons | Scotty & Izzy
Jett Cleary remains the only half officially contracted beyond this season, although both Martin - who impressed in his early injection against Brisbane - and incumbent No. 6 Harris-Tavita are both nearing the finish line with their respective negotiations, George added.
"We've been having those discussions over the last week or so.
"I'm hoping that we'll have very good news in the next few days or this week."
Boyd's suspected season-ending injury added another eerie twist to the Metcalf situation.
The 27-year-old was granted a request to negotiate a new deal with other NRL clubs, with Boyd firming as Andrew Webster's preferred option at halfback - Metcalf's preferred position.
With Metcalf now reportedly heading back to Sydney, it's remains unclear whether coach Andrew Webster will promote him back to the starting line-up in Boyd's absence on Saturday against, coincidentally enough, his new team.
Either way, George made it clear there'd be no chance of any "backflip" from Metcalf - with his pathway to the No. 7 now cleared - to opt out with the Dragons and stay in Auckland, but he's confident the half would be ready to give his all if called upon.
"That's not anyone's style in this situation," he insisted.
"From our perspective, Luke's made a decision and we're gonna have to follow through with that... we'll finalise his paperwork today.
"But he's locked and loaded for the rest of the year and he will be committed. He's passionate to do the right thing and I have no doubt he'll just be wanting to play his role to finish off the year as best we can with our team.
"Whether that's this week or moving forward, that's entirely up to Webby."
The Warriors squad to face the Dragons on Saturday will be revealed 6pm, Tuesday.
Listen to the full interview below:
Tune into Sport Nation for live commentary of the NZ Warriors all season long - download the app today on Google Play and the App Store.

